Adapted Career Academy
The Adapted Career Academy is a three-week training program in which Blue Jacket works with clients of all ability levels to provide job-readiness training — the soft skills that go anywhere with you — to those with disabilities. There is a heavy focus on discovering who the client is by evaluating their strengths, weakness, likes and dislikes. We take that information and start looking for a job that matches the client’s unique skill set. We know, and we want to let others know, that people should not be identified by their disability. Everyone has skills and interests that translate into job skills.
As a result of graduating, we provide transitional jobs, job placement, pre- and post-placement services including education, skills and interest assessments, and personal and professional development. Once employed, we work with the client and employer to implement needed accommodations and learn specific job tasks.
Our goal at Blue Jacket is to help you and your employer focus on your ability, instead of dwelling on your disability. We want you to be seen for what you can do instead of your disability.
The Adapted Career Academy focuses on:
- Identifying skills and abilities
- How to earn trust through time and effort
- How to make a good first impression
- How to set goals and make them SMART (Specific, Measurable, Action-oriented, Realistic, Time-managed)
- Improving job searching strategies & tips for breaking into the hidden job market
- Tips for filling out employment applications
- How to sell oneself and appropriately discuss needed accommodations
- Building a resume, cover letter, and reference sheet
- Expanding your network through employer roundtables
- Mock interviewing with professionals from the community
- Career and personality assessments to create a Career Action Plan
- Hands-on simulated work projects
Do you have a question about our program or want to learn more? Here are our orientations times and days.
Mondays – 10 a.m.
Tuesdays – 2 p.m.
Wednesdays – 10 a.m.
Thursdays – 2 p.m.
Fridays – 10 a.m. & 2 p.m.
Questions? Contact us at (260) 744-1900.